Digital India is an initiative(an act or strategy to resolve a difficulty or improve a situation or condition) launched by the Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi on 1st July 2015 for the easy access of the government services by the people. Digital India is an aspiring program of the Government of India projected as Rs. 113000 crores.
Objectives of Digital India
· It’s main aim is to transform India into a digitally authorized society and knowledgeable economy.
· To provide excellent digital infrastructure with seamless internet connectivity and also to provide high-speed internet to rural areas.
· To make each and every citizen of India enable to access government schemes through the use of electronic media and online mode.
· To accomplish a better economy.
· Depletion(reduction) of fraud corruption.
· Greater accountability .
· Good infrastructure and building smart cities is one of the main objective of digital India.
It has three key features :
1. To create a secure and best digital infrastructure.
2. To provide all government schemes and services digitally.
3. To make each and every citizen digitally literate.
Merits of digital India
· Erasing the chances of black economy, that is, reducing corruption.
All online payments can be easily recorded and thus this won’t create any illegal transaction. By limiting the cash-based transactions and only using digital platform for payment , the government can easily ban the black economy.
· Students can acquire various benefits.
They can preserve their important documents in a safe and Secure digital locker this will help them access the important documents wherever and whenever needed. Also they can easily apply for various jobs using government job portals.
· All over the India in the rural areas around 12000 post offices branch have been linked electronically.
· Digital India has played a vital role in the establishment of digital villages in addition to the well-equipped facilities that connects the rural areas and urban areas. The Government of India has compelled email services including Gmail and Rediff to provide email addresses in regional language of the candidate.
· One of the advantage of Digital India is that , it help the citizens to digitally sign a document online doing Aadhar Card authentication.
· E-Hospital application
It provides the patients with important services such as online appointments with the doctor , payment of fees through net banking or UPI, enquiring availability of blood online, etc.
· Digital attendance
It keeps the record of the attendance of Government employees digitally on an actual real-time basis.
Demerits Of Digital India
· Execution cost is very high
To execute the Digital India plan government will spend nearly Rs. 1.13 trillion in the next three to five years to provide internet connectivity to all citizens.
· Extra time requirement
Projects like NOFN (National Optical Fibre Network ) have been detained (delayed) many times and to complete the whole project it took almost 2 years. Thus, it has also delayed other Projects linked to it. A project is said to be successful if it is completed within the allocated time.
Now a days , we depend more on technology and less on human resources. This is the biggest disadvantage of Digital India as the processes got more automated the requirement for human resources is reduced.
· Low Broadband Internet Connectivity
India has one of the Lowest Broadband Internet Connectivity as compared to other countries like Japan, Taiwan, and Korea. While some of the smart cities like Bangalore, Delhi and Mumbai have relatively better internet connectivity but in some of the rural areas, slow connectivity speed has demotivated the users.
· Regional language
India is a land of a variety of languages and the non-availability of digital services in the regional languages is a great barrier in digital literacy.